Whether you’re getting ready to entertain in a hurry or have a party planned months in advance, this all-inclusive checklist will help you target key rooms and cleaning tasks, so you can focus on the fun.
Before you get started, grab a big basket or crate to use as a catchall bin for clutter. Then, print this page and start checking off to-dos in these 5 high-traffic areas:
It’s the first glimpse guests get of your home, so make a lasting impression:
- Rid floors, benches and tables of daily clutter like stray shoes, bags, keys, dog leashes and mail; toss it all in the bin.
- Dust tables, light fixtures, shelves and window treatments.
- Clean floors with Swiffer® Sweeper, the 2-in-1 tool. Use a dry sweeping cloth to trap and lock dirt, dust and hair, and a wet mopping cloth to dissolve dirt and grime.
- Shake out doormats.
- Check for cobwebs in ceiling corners and outside the door, and remove.
Have more time? Organize the coat closet for good.
2.) Living Room
Give this hangout hub some quick attention:
- Toss toys and movies in your bin, and corral remotes on a tray.
- Neatly stack magazines and books on end tables. If you’ll need the tabletop space, put them in the bin instead.
- Dust furniture and wipe upholstery with a damp cloth to pick up clumps of fur.
- Fluff pillows and chair cushions. Fold and drape blankets over furniture, too (our secret to hiding stains and scratches!).
- Clean floors; vacuum carpet and rugs.
Have more time? Tackle some living room de-cluttering.
Start with the most high-traffic one, then hit the others if you have time:
- Close the shower door or pull the curtain closed.
- Move toiletries, make-up and jewelry from countertops to cabinets or drawers.
- Wipe down sinks, faucets, counters, mirrors and the toilet seat and rim.
- Shake out bathmats and clean floors.
- Empty the wastebasket.
- Freshen the air and help eliminate unwanted odors with Febreze® Air Effects in Mediterranean Lavender scent.
Tip: Don’t forget to hang fresh hand towels! While you’re at it, set out an extra Febreze Air Effects for guests to use.
Have more time? Complete a Total Bathroom Clean Out.
4.) Dining Area
If you’re entertaining al fresco, skip this area to save time. Otherwise, do a clean sweep:
- Clear the table of mail, homework and other clutter—into your bin it goes.
- Dust. Start up high with chandeliers, ceiling fans and window treatments, and work your way down to the hutch, table and chairs.
- Clean floors and vacuum rugs.
- Set the table with freshly cleaned dinnerware. Unwind before the party as you hand wash dishes with Ultra Dawn® in Mediterranean Lavender scent.
Tip: An unforgettable gathering is all in the details, like sweet centerpieces, settings and place cards.
Have more time? Set up dining room storage systems.
You’ll likely be using this area before, during and after the party, so try to tidy as you go:
- Hide countertop clutter in cabinets or drawers, and wipe down counters, appliances and the kitchen sink.
- Give the refrigerator a quick look. Toss expired ingredients and outdated leftovers to make room for party foods.
- Run and empty the dishwasher before the party, so it’s ready to load after. Turn this ordinary chore into a Mediterranean-inspired getaway when you use Cascade® Mediterranean Lavender Scent ActionPacs™.
- Take out the trash. If you’re hosting a big crowd, bring in an extra trashcan, too.
- Clean floors and shake out floor mats.
Have more time? Totally clean out your pantry and refrigerator.